Easy way to get started with electronics / soldering / hardware

Hi, 0x00sec.

Long time no see :slight_smile:

I got a new hobby - electronics. And I would like to recommend a book that helped me a lot with it. The book is “Make: Electronics” by Charles Platt. Best thing about it is that you can order a book with all necessary components (a.k.a starter kit). Also it’s translated in many languages, I personally read it in Russian.

I had no experience in soldering before. A week after I started to read this book I soldered my first circuit:

http://eax.me/files/2016/11/soldering.jpg

(Please note that there is no soldering iron in a starter kit, you should order it separately).

Long story short - it’s one of the best books I’ve ever read and I heartily recommend it.

Next step - AVR/Arduino and PIC microcontrollers.

8 Likes

Cool!.. you gonna love AVRs :wink:

1 Like

This is so dope! Nice share!

Pico is hardware guy too?

1 Like

A little bit… AVR, Propeller, ESP8226… that kind of stuff… half-way between SW and HW, but closer to SW :sweat:

2 Likes

I can confirm, “Make: electronics” is a great book for starters and I also read it sometimes to freshen up on some knowledge.

But for starters: beware of the risks of electronics before attempting anything fancy. I’ll write an article on this, but it’s covered a little bit in the book as well. (Yea I stress safety a lot, but it happens too many times people get into HV experiments without knowing what they’re doing and end up losing a limb in the process :confused:)

BTW, what circuit did you put together @afiskon?

-Phoenix750

1 Like

If you just use electronics powered by 12V 1A there is not that much that can go wrong.
So unless you build your own Rectifier, there shouldn’t be any really big dangers (Correct me if I’m wrong though).

2 Likes

Using low safety voltage (the 12V you are referring to) should protect you from electrocution, but making a short circuit could blow your power supply up. And that could blow your face off.

And that is why you always use fuses & C.C. protected bench power supplies kids!

-Phoenix750

1 Like

Awesome mate ! Thanks for sharing ! I always been interested in electronics stuff but I never had time to really experience things in such area :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

@IoTh1nkN0t I know a guy who worked with low voltage and current. One day his circuit exploded into his face and he almost lost his eyes. You also can easily get injured by a micro drill if you make a home brew PCB or even a long wire you are holding in some proximity of your face. I personally always use protective glasses.

@anon79434934 It’s a pretty simple circuit (with a funny name):

If you are interested more circuits I made so far are described here (in Russian, but Google Translate should help)

1 Like

Ah. I’ll never forget the time I messed with a wall socket and triggered the fuse.

Ah, the good old oscillator! A very simple circuit but yet it is used almost everywhere.

I’ll check out your other circuits later. And don’t worry about the language, I’ve seen so many circuits I can recognize the common ones by schematics alone!

-Phoenix750

1 Like

The book is amazing! I recommend it to everyon!