How to Install Sana aka. Kali Linux w/ Persistence on Linux

Hello my lads. I take pride in using Linux, and I highly recommend it to anyone who wishes to become proficient in this industry. With Linux being my recommended OS, I also encourage Sana as your go OS when needing effective tools.

Installing Sana aka. Kali Linux
There are many ways to install this platform, so I will cover the most basic one, being the fresh install, and a fresh install with Persistence, if you choose to configure that too.

Step 1
Install Sana from the official website www.kali.org/downloads

Step 2
Download UUI - if you’re on WIndows of course (gross). Otherwise simply skip this step as this is not needed for Linux.

Step 3
Now, (considering you’re on Linux) make sure your USB is either an ext3 or ext4 format, fat32 is also okay. If it’s ntfs, you’ll have to format your drive either in the linux terminal or with Gparted. I will show you how to do it in the terminal.

Type: mkfs -t ext4 /dev/sdx
This will format the drive to an ext4 format making it compatible with Linux. Replace the ‘x’ with your letter. Usually a or b

Type: sudo dd if=path_of_your_iso of=/dev/sdx
This will write your iso being Sana, to your USB drive. It can take up to about 8 minutes.

This is a very quick and easy way to install Sana on a USB with literally two commands. 1 if you already have a USB drive compatible with Linux.

If you are on Windows, I can only advise you to find a tutorial on Google because I run Linux like a savage.

Configuring Persistence on Sana aka. Kali Linux

Step 1
Boot into Sana as the main host. You might have to go into your BIOS settings and change the boot order.

Step 2
Open up a terminal and type: sudo mkdir -p /mnt/my_usb
Find your drive & remember it.

Step 3
mount /dev/sdx /mnt/my_usb
This will mount your device

Step 4
echo “/ union” > /mnt/my_usb/persistence.conf
This will append the persistence file where you’ll put your stuff!

Step 5
umount /dev/sdx && reboot
This will unmount your USB.

Thats it.

5 Likes

I’ve always known that you can install Linux on a USB via Linux but I never really learned how. Nice tutorial. :grinning:

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.