I need some Advice

Linux

Salut, again! I’m want to start to use Linux, and I need a little bit of guidance. Should I install it on a Virtual Machine until I’m comfortable or force myself to make it my main OS?

• Use Linux as Main OS
  • Use Linux in Virtual Machine
  • Use Linux until you break it
  • Why did you post this?

0 voters

EDIT: What version of Linux should I use? Arch? Debian? Ubuntu? Give me your thoughts, please.

Dual booting is an alternative to all of those.

6 Likes

I’d like to say that @oaktree is 100% percent correct on this. I only voted VM because that’s the safest of the options presented.

But again, @oaktree is completely correct.

-Defalt

4 Likes

Thanks, I didn’t think about Dual Booting. I always miss the obvious. What version of Linux should I start with?

I agree with @oaktree and @Defalt that dual/multi booting is one of the best options to try something directly on the hardware,
BUT
if you are completely new to the whole multi OS thing (which is completely ok) I would suggest to go with a VM, because of the following reasons:

• if you do not understand the booting process and priorities within it, you could mess up your primary os which can result in unnecessary and stressful downtime
  • if hardware permits it, you can always practice multibooting in a vm
  • if you are using any type of software raid, without independent storage, you can ‘lock out’ storage between different operating systems (linux / win)
  • IMHO, fastest and easiest way to find out which linux works for you is to try them out in a vm

To answer which one to start with:

• one which is well documented and has an easier learning curve

• u/lu/ku/etc-buntu = well documented, but specific; good to learn the basics of Debian-oids, but at one point move away from it, as you go deeper in Ubuntu specific stuff
    • fedora = well documented, desktop oriented, rolling RHEL-oid (doc supplemented with RHEL/CentOS/SUSE docs); good to learn the basics of RHEL-oids
    • manjaro = well documented, desktop oriented, rolling Arch-oid (doc supplemented with Arch docs); great to learn the basics of Arch-oids
  • why Debian isn’t in the list?
    IMHO, Debian is a server-centric OS and is great in its own way, but can be daunting to newcomers 'cause it implies some sysadminish knowledge to set up properly (emphasis on properly, although it is a subjective thing).

Hope this helps, good luck!

6 Likes

I completely agree with you

What I did originally, and worked well for me, was to dual boot Ubuntu Desktop, and my original Windows OS, having gone to some lengths to learn how to dual boot without screwing things up(highly recommend this, some good guides out there). I think Ubuntu is a good choice because you can do most things via the GUI like Windows, but can also learn the terminal at your own pace. I then started spinning up other Linux Flavours on VM’s to experiment, and for the purpose of building hacking labs. I found this to be a nice way to not have to fully commit to Linux straight up, and allow you to immerse yourself only as much and as frequently as you like.

There is also BSD Unix. Depending on what your main focus is. Documentation is awesome. Let me know if you are interested and I will help anyone with getting a BSD going.

As for using VM or not. I would say use VMs unless you are going to dual/multiboot like @oaktree said. That was the only way we used to do it. IF you want to build a lab and are short on computers then you will definitely want to use VMs.

1 Like

I second @oaktree. However, if you are new to this you should use a VM.

I recommend starting out with Ubuntu because it is quite well documented and is pretty versatile. Don’t use Unity though! I personally like Xubuntu the most, but you can get any flavor you desire.

Also, If you really want to learn Linux thoroughly, try to install Arch Linux on a VM (don’t do this for dual booting because there is a high chance you will f*ck shit up!) and follow the guides in their documentation to do so. Arch has a very good documentation. You will learn about the way Linux handles files, packages, file systems, and configs in just one session.

But be aware, do NOT under any circumstance install Arch as a dual boot! You will most certainly fail in the beginning (which is ok), so as a new recruit ONLY play with Arch on a VM!

But I recommend you start with an Ubuntu flavour or any other type of Debian-based distro.

I hope I helped @DrasticDecisions.

-Phoenix750

1 Like

What I did was install parrotsec on my USB ran a live boot and tested it out. I loved it but I instead installed Kali Linux on my laptop. To answer your question. I suggest testing out the different flavors through a live boot and i you like one install it as your main OS, but that’s just my opinion. :dragon:

It’s the secure way if you use a VM. But if you use dual booting like @oaktree said it’s faster. So if you only want to use Linux for get good handling with Linux and don’t want hacking dual booting is the perfect option.

Heheh… I attempted to dual boot a version of Linux and ended up messing up my Windows Partition! It’s nothing though, I got a new Windows OS version for another try.

Make a new partition on your drive inside Windows and install Linux on there.

-Phoenix750

Do you have a slot for two hardrives? I know you could possibly put linux on one hard drive, but than put windows on the other. That way on startup you could choose which one to boot.