Material for Learning Exploit Development

When I started studying and learning about exploit development, one of the biggest issues I ran in to was finding a good starting point. I am by no means an expert in this field, but here is a list of some of the material I found helpful while learning (I still am learning and will always be) to research vulnerabilities and develop exploits. I figured I would put this list out there to help anyone else who is in the same place I was. Here we go!

Books!

Links!

Other Helpful Things!

• Offensive Security’s Penetration Testing With Kali Linux course. https://www.offensive-security.com/ Not necessarily related to exploit development but more on general Pen Testing, this course changed the way I look at Info Sec as a whole. Plus the OSCP certification is worth it! Offensive Security also has another course called Cracking the Perimeter (CTP) that focuses more on exploit development which gets you the OSCE certification. (Eventually I want to take this course myself.)

• https://www.vulnhub.com/ Vulnerable VMs which are a ton of fun.

• Most import thing: Don’t get discouraged when you can’t figure something out, keep researching and learning. You will figure it out eventually. Also, don’t compare yourself to others. Everyone who is good at what they do were bad at it at one point. Keep going! As Offensive Security likes to say, Try Harder!

19 Likes

I’d like to offer an Edit.

PWK (Which gets you your OSCP) Is more of an intro to pentesting course. While there is one chapter on Exploit Development, it’s not meant to be the main focus of the course.

The course that get’s you your OSCE, on the other hand, is the course that actively focuses on Exploit Development; as far as I’ve been told by those currently enrolled in its curriculum anyway.

Both courses are hella $$$$

3 Likes

Good point. Ill throw that in there. Yeah the courses are pretty expensive. I found PWK worth it though.

I’ll just leave that here, because - you know - it’s great :wink:.

@0x00pf’s Reverse Engineering 101

4 Likes

Dang, this is great. Ill have to read this.

1 Like

Oh yeah man, I take my exam for the OSCP on saturday. It’s an incredible course, I liked it so much that I plan on taking more OffSec courses in the future.

Right on! The exam wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be. Like the machines aren’t technically that hard, but its the time constraint that’s the real problem. You won’t see anything akin to BOB or sufferance or anything.

That’s what I figured, I’m not super nervous about it, I just really don’t want to write the report. xD

I’m still trying to write up my lab and course exercise report because I was a total shithead about taking screenies and documenting stuff so it’s taking ages.

Another one:

http://www.pentest.guru/index.php/2016/01/28/best-books-tutorials-and-courses-to-learn-about-exploit-development/

2 Likes

Since they all cost a bank, are there any qualifications that mean something, but at the same time don’t burn your wallet?

That depends entirely on what you are trying to do. The OSCP and OSCE are just certs, all it’s gunna do at the end of the day is help you get a job; but both are really excellent courses if you can afford it.

Of course, all of the information in those courses are also scattered about the web, and most students use that as a supplement to the course material (Shit’s hard, man).

If the goal is to just learn exploit development without burning a hole in your pocket then your best option is to hunt down resources like those detailed above and self-teach.

As an alternative, if you’re trying to get a job, you could use what you self-taught on exploit development, find a vulnerable app, write an exploit, go through the whole responsible disclosure dance, post it on github after the company has acknowledged and patched the vuln, and write a blog post about it; this way you have something to show prospective employers in lieu of a certification (Which, IMO, is wayyyyyy better than a stupid piece of paper even if HR ppl don’t think so).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.