Mine for the community!

Hello 0x00’ers!

As many of you are aware, we are very fortunate to be able to offer 0x00sec as an ad-free service, hopefully forever. As this community grows, it will eventually require more and more just to keep it running.

At the present, we receive a minimal amount from Amazon affiliates, anytime you purchase something on Amazon after clicking an Amazon link on this site, we get a small comission. We also get a comission from things bought on https://swag.0x00sec.org.

Until now, it has been impossible to donate without actually buying something or donating directly. Being a badass cybersecurity community, and being one of a good number, the potential for Crypto Mining is awesome.

Introducing: Monero Mining in Javascript! Just click the “Mine” button at the top right of the navigation bar, and away you go.

You can view your stats in the javascript developer console. If you’re logged in, your total amount of hashes solved will be published to the leaderboard at https://leaderboard.0x00sec.org/

Remember, many hands make light work. If everybody turned this on while they browse the site or read an article, we can potentially be ad-free forever!

Looking forward to seeing some of you CPU-Ninja’s raising in the ranks. At the time of writing, @fraq has solved over a million hashes and is the complete leader of this race!

Note: While testing, you may have enabled Mining by accident, and so that would explain why your name might be in the leaderboard even if you didn’t click Mine earlier.

Have a good one 0x00’ers!

16 Likes

Cool stuff! Looking at my CPU usage (FX-8350 @ 4.7GHz) it only bumps up to %40-50 while mining. Not bad at all.
(The process itself only takes 35-40%)

When I heard that story about ThePirateBay implementing CoinHive without letting users know It was pretty funny because I don’t think anyone would have had an issue with it if they had just been transparent about it in the first place.

Glad to see a legit implementation of the concept, I’ll mine when I’m browsing :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I was very insistent that we be transparent and opt-in for this thing. It’s potentially a pretty cool and ad-free way to raise funds for us if done right. Glad @pry0cc thought of it.

3 Likes

Curious how this trial thing works out.
Being transparent about this kind of background mining is necessary.
Otherwise you can easily get on the bad site with users…

My setup probably won’t contribute as much but as long as I’m here anyway I’ll use it, that’s one way to give back to the community and it helps to keep servers stable ( + in the future it might enable some new projects, which need some funding :wink: )

1 Like

If you won’t see the Mine button but just a Click me button your adblocker might block the coinhive script.
UBlock for example did it on my browser

Will we receive a Mining badge? :smirk:

Do you want a Mining badge? We can for sure add that. What should be the boundaries?

• Bronze == 1 Million
  • Silver == 5 Million
  • Gold == 10 Million
  • Insane == 100 Million
  • God-Mode == 1 Billion

What do you guys think?

8 Likes

I really like the badge idea! We could also go full Minecraft mode with
Coal -> Iron -> Gold … etc :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I have a couple home servers mining monero that aren’t doing me much good but knowing it can get me some 0x00 cred would totally change that. Wish I could just point my miners to the “0x00 mining pool” that coinhive works with. This totally makes a really fun idle-game out of mining and actually makes it kinda fun.
Can’t wait to see how my workstation’s 7900x does.

3 Likes

Hmm. I would love to be able to do it manually too. Perhaps we should start our own mining pool? Or if we badger coinhive enough, they might let us.

1 Like

I got a dual xeon swerver loafing around at the house, when i’m using it (it being turned on) i don’t see why it can’t contribute :smiley:

3 Likes

Yeah, that would be cool. I’ve been minig for supportxmr.

1 Like

I’ll be honest: I heard about you only because of a friend interested in ITSec, but the idea of helping so easily by mining is so humble, yet simple that I could not resist to urge to turn it on and mine some.

And meanwhile I found some interesting stuff to read among your all-time top posts, so I can feel that you deserve it.

Good luck!

4 Likes

Man what in the world is fraq mining on to be closing in on 9,000,000 hashes already.

There’s some node modules out there for some headless server mining. Though it still runs off of javascript and not at the full native potential like most other miners out there but still good enough to run on an idle server 24/7.

1 Like

I’ll give you my CPU specs later

Edit: here are my specs

Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00 GHz
32.0 GB DDR4 RAM

2 Likes

Finally something I can do to help the community instead of just lurking all the time. Great idea!

2 Likes

Okay man. SO. I’ve just spent a few hours, after much frustration, I have managed to implement a badge assignment system, real-time updates and a much nicer codebase.

Now if you reach any of the boundaries mentioned in my last comment, you will automatically get assigned a badge if you’re logged in! Happy Mining!

1 Like

Also, I found a golang miner that might be useful.

Just started mining now, I think this will be a good way for the community to give back to the admins without even opening their wallet. Though I’m still enjoying my 0x00sec Jacket I bought :slight_smile:

4 Likes

What are we mining exactly? I don’t get it…

1 Like

I wanted to contribute to community but I was low on money as I do not earn yet, So this is the best possible way for me to contribute to the community…
Hail 0x00sec.

3 Likes