Plug In To Win - DIY Bad USB [Part 3/3]

A question that @0x00pf may be able to answer: Why does the hack only possible with the Phison microcontroller? Is it the only one vulnerable or did no one create “hacks” for other microcontrollers?
Anyway, great post! :thumbsup:

2 Likes

Hey @SmartOne, if you try to search for USB Flash controllers datasheets you will not find many that can be flashed over the USB interface. Many have some special interface (you have to hook up wires in those little pins) and most of them requires some proprietary tools that you only get if you are a manufacturer of… USB devices.

In general, those microntrollers can speak the USB protocol. If you can change the firmware to make it identify as a different device, you are done. Despite of not being trivial (I guess, I have never done it) to re-write such a firmware you also need the details on how to flash it. This is the kind of information/tools that are available for the Phision

5 Likes

Thank you for the clarification! I always had a dream of a “virus” that turns plugged in usb’s into bad usbs, but that doesn’t seem possible :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I’ve already done this with the Teensy 3.2

You should check this also: https://github.com/samyk/usbdriveby

4 Likes

Hi @FFY00,

Just want to ensure you didn’t get me wrong :slight_smile: My idea was to check if any plugged-in USB has the Phison microcontroller and the overwrite it with the BadUSB firmware. Did you accomplish this?

@SmartOne not quite. I didn’t use the teensy to do the same thing than you but I used the same concept.

Sounds interesting! If you don’t mind, you could write a post about it! :slight_smile:

Yeah, I will do when I have some time.

2 Likes

Good job on this, @TheDoctor. If ya got any more fancy hardware projects, I’m happy to cooperate.

-Phoenix750

2 Likes

phoenix, knowing we live in the same country, did you purchase a ducky, or a usb stick to try this out ? if so, what were your experiences ?

@anon79434934 only helped me out theoretically. He hasn’t tested this out hisself.

If I understood your question right, else ignore me :grin:.

When this was released I didn’t have a chance to check this out - but this is insanely cool. So grateful to have such a badass community!

1 Like

@TheDoctor is right, I don’t own a USB like that myself. But I am pretty sure you can buy a ducky in Belgium. If not, you can order one from the US and get it shipped over.

-Phoenix750

Thanks for the reply. My main reason for asking, was that I found a Kingston DataTraveler G4 64 GB on the known supported devices list, which is widely sold here in Belgium, for about 20€. Was trying to decide what to buy.

I think I’m gonna give this a go. Perhaps I already have a USB flash drive with the correct controller.

2 Likes

Awesome, I might try this.

Never found a compatible usb in the stores :frowning:

@Valkyr: Using a Teensy to Install Stuff in a Few Seconds

2 Likes

thanks sir ! I didnt seem to have read this one

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.