Port Forwarding

Port Forwarding I personally think needs to be addressed as fast as possible before I go into my more advance tutorials… with that being said time to jump in once again into 1’s and 0’s.

Please, this tutorial is for noobs but “experts” can also sit back and read again. First thing first… figuring out what type of router you have. I’m gonna use my Belkin router as a example but please don’t fret if these instructions don’t exactly line up, different routers have different configuration page but the concepts are the same…

Now that we’ve figuered out pretty much the only easy part of this (well, only if you’re a noob), we need to figure out one more thing, the internal IP address. There are two types of IP addresses but I’m only gonna worry about the internal IP addresses. If you’re wondering a bit about the differences between the two, Google is your friend. Now that you have your internal IP address and you’re connected to your router via the internet, it is the time for the fun part.

Type your internal IP address into your URL bar, mine would look something like this: 192.168.2.1, but yours could be different. Now hit enter and if successful you should be at your router homepage. Navigate to the Port Forwarding page and follow the instructions, mine is under Firewall and the Virtual Server option. I should remind you that different routers have different configurations requirements and this is where a bit of research comes in handy.

I should say that this tutorial was probably crappy but that’s only because of the so many different types of routers that there are. But port forwarding is actually quite important for SSH and other shenanigans. Please comment down below and suggest anything but other than that please give me some lovins. Chow.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.