RE guide for beginners : bypassing SIGTRAP

Hi fellas,

Following my last article, RE for beginners: Methodology and tools, I decided to do this write up in order to present you another common issue that people, exercising in this area, should be quickly confronted to, anti-debugger technologies.

For the sake of this article, I picked a challenge, which will not be disclosed in this paper, to show you how to bypass SIGTRAP anti-debugging technique.

What is SIGTRAP

Softwares use handlers to intercept signals such as SIGINT, SIGSTOP, SIGTRAP, etc, during their execution flow. This functionality allows them to catch errors, CTRL+C, etc.

The SIGTRAP signal is sent to a process when an exception (or trap) occurs: a condition that a debugger has requested to be informed of — for example, when a particular function is executed, or when a particular variable changes value.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_signal

Indeed, debuggers use this signal to set their breakpoints. Consequently, it can be used as debugger detection by the software which will exit when triggered.

How to detect it ?

The first hint of its presence is really obvious. Indeed, by simply running the binary under GDB, the execution flow stop, showing that this behaviour is due to an emitted SIGTRAP signal.

In the other hand, it is possible to guess its presence by looking for handlers within the binary. It could be a hard coded function or a function call. As you can see on the picture below, in this case, sigaction is used as a handler and kill to emit the signal.

Once detected, we have to follow the execution flow, break into each function till we know where the signal is emitted.

Note: For the relevance of this article, the analysis phase will be not further demonstrated.

Bypassing methods

So here we are, we know where the signal is triggered but, how can we bypass this security measure? After several hours of reflexion, I came to the assumption that three methods could allow us to work around this type of shielding.

Method 1: Patching

Well, this method could seem quite trivial but, who cares …?, it works perfectly and this is just what we want. Due to the fact that, according to our prior research, the strlen call is the source of our hassles, why simply don’t overwrite it?

As you can see on the picture above, the return value of the strlen call is compared to 0x15. Consequently, if we override the function by returning the exact same value, we should be able to bypass the SIGTRAP triggering without changing the software behaviour.

Here is the piece of assembly required for the patch:

mov eax, 0x15
ret

Pretty simple right? Now, the execution flow works like a charm within our favourite debugger :slight_smile:

Method 2: Registers manipulation

Patching is not the only way to bypass this security measure. Indeed, we can play around the different registers to jump above the strlen call, avoiding the SIGTRAP emission.

First of all, let’s break to the address preceding the function call.

Now, the following steps are very easy:

1. Increment the $PC register to step over the strlen call. PC or, Program Counter, represents the next instruction to be executed. By setting this register to 0x8048756, we bypass the intermediary opcodes and consequently, the SIGTRAP emission.
  2. Set the $EAX register to 0x15 to validate the comparison.
  3. Break on the comparison instruction at 0x8048756.

That’s all, we continue the execution and ABRACADABRA, the SIGTRAP is shunted.

EDIT: The following method is quite shaky. Feel free to read it for your own curiosity.

Method 3: LD_PRELOAD

Despite the methods above, I was not particularly satisfied with myself and I decided to go further. I wanted to bypass this security measure without having to patch the binary or influencing its execution flow. That is when I thought about LD_PRELOAD.

What is it ?

Long story short, softwares use libraries to access functions e.g. printf, strlen, sigaction, kill, etc. Those libraries can be loaded at the compilation time or at runtime. When loading at runtime, we face to dynamic linking. This point of failure is used by a bunch of malware that hooks function calls by replacing legit libraries. This is exactly what we will exploit to bypass this anti-debugging technique.

Identify the function responsible of the signal emission

No fancy tools or technique are required to identify potential calls to libraries. The command strings should get you all the information needed.

Now, we have to run our favourite debugger and find which call cause the SIGTRAP.

Binary ninja users:

Click on the right bottom select menu and chose linear disassembly. Afterward, scroll down to reach the last sections and you should see each function call to the libc as well as their address. That information will certainly speed up your recon phase.

Investigation results:

• Sigaction is used as handler
  • Kill emit the signal

Perfect, now it’s time to override it.

Note: For the rest of this article, I used a small and easy challenge that I have created for the following POC. Indeed, the binary used above must have another security measure that prevents me to properly exploit this vulnerability. I must be close to finding why and how it works, however, by a lack of time, I chose to demonstrate it on my proper binary, using the same calls to the libc. The sample is available below:

cat input.txt | base64 -d | gunzip > preloadMe && chmod +x preloadMe
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Function overriding

Thanks to our previous researches, we know that the function kill is used to emit the signal. We are going to redefine it in order to intercept the function call.

An easy way to get the function prototype is to look on the associated man. In our case:

int kill(pid_t pid, int sig);

#define _GNU_SOURCE

#include <dlfcn.h>
#include <signal.h>
#include <stdio.h>

/*
The following lines aim to load the original kill function in order to properly send signals to the software. 
Signals are a big deal and could mess up the internal behaviours. 
That is why I chose to only ignore the SIGTRAP signal and pass the others as planned to the binary.
*/
int kill(pid_t pid, int sig) {

int (*org_kill)(pid_t, int);

org_kill = (int(*)(pid_t, int)) dlsym(RTLD_NEXT, "kill");

if (sig == SIGTRAP) {
        printf("Get SIGTRAP \tpid: %d\n", pid);
    } else {
        org_kill(pid, sig);
    }

return 0;
}

Shared library compilation and testing

gcc -shared -ldl -fPIC -o sigtrap.so sigtrap.c

Without LD_PRELOAD:

With LD_PRELOAD:

Well, it seems to work pretty well. It’s time to fire up gdb.

Without LD_PRELOAD:

With LD_PRELOAD:

To set up LD_PRELOAD in gdb, use the following command:

set exec-wrapper env "LD_PRELOAD=LIBRARY_PATH”

Keep in mind to not use set env LD_PRELOAD cause it will affect gdb too.

Here we are! We have successfully bypassed the SIGTRAP signal without patching or interacting with the binary.

Note: Feel free to RE the binary provided above :slight_smile: Nothing complicated :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: Thanks to the @0x00pf feedback’s. I realised why this method didn’t work with the original challenge. Indeed, the binary must check that the signal is well handled by itself and not by a debugger. In fact, when SIGTRAP is emitted under gdb, the debugger will handle the signal instead of the binary, making fail the additional check and stop the execution flow …

Consequently, LD_PRELOAD cannot be used to bypass SIGTRAP … sorry for the misinformation. However, the section above is still explaining how LD_PRELOAD work and this method could certainly be used in another scenario.

Thanks for your comprehension.

Conclusion

This paper shows a few methods to bypass SIGTRAP security measure. Some of them are more glamour than others however, they all allow to solve our problem. Keep in mind that, in reverse engineering, all that matter is to pown, whatever how you did it!

16 Likes

Hi @Nitrax !

Good writeup .
I read your previous post too, RE guide for beginners methodology and tools .
However , I don’t get how you found the code responsible for the raising the signal .

I am doing this same question ( I know you haven’t revealed the question name :wink: ) but I don’t understand how you bypassed the SIGTRAP.

I have tried NOPing the kill signal but that didn’t work ( that would be obvious, since I am asking on this post ).

Can you please describe as to how to proceed with that ?

And since both of your methods depend on the knowledge that strlen is responsible for SIGTRAP , so I am kinda stuck :disappointed:

This is the IDA part pointing to initial strlen but how is it raising the signal for SIGTRAP , isn’t it normally exiting the program ?

1 Like

Hi @jame,

It seems that you have found the binary that I used as example in this article :wink: You must be able to resolve this challenge by just following the instructions carefully above.

The piece of code, triggering the SIGTRAP signal, could be detected by
meticulously setting breakpoints on each instruction till the signal is triggered :slight_smile:
Patience is the cornerstone of any decent reverser !

The program will definitely exit when running within a debugger. I can, unfortunately, not get the binary atm. I will try later and give a closer look about how the signal is triggered through the strlen call :slight_smile: This answer will be edited once done.

My adivse

Patch the strlen function and don’t forget to apply your changes on the binary (it seems obvious but it could explain why it didn’t work the first time).

You can still contact me in PM if needed.

Hope it helped.

Best,
Nitrax

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)