Suggestions for a Free Linux VPN

Let’s be honest here and I think everyone can agree on this: There is no such thing as a “Free VPN”. You ALWAYS pay them in some way. If it’s not money it’s your data, like @pry0cc said.

I recommend AirVPN by far. It is super cheap (7€ a month is very VERY little) and they have proven their trustworthiness over the years. Plus it works on pretty much any device.

and let’s be honest, 7 euros is nothing, I earn that much by just mowing old people’s lawns on Saturday noon. Don’t tell me you’re not up for that ;).

-Phoenix750

4 Likes

I can top that. proxy.sh is offering $2.75 a month (if you pay yearly) The solid package offers 57 countries.

I have personal experience with frootvpn and my experience is mostly positive. They’re fairly quick and always works, as well as competitive pricing.

Have you tried torsocks? That just uses 1 exit node. So is much faster.

2 Likes

I used torify(torsocks) + a VPS(configured openvpn)
It works like a charm!

2 Likes

Expanding on this: You can get a super cheap VPS, and free for a month with our affiliate link, then it’s more than just a VPN. It’s a VPS and a VPN.

2 Likes

Never tried torsocks but it seems pretty useful! And if you want to have a look at the 0x00sec affiliate VPS you can find it here.

2 Likes

Well, AirVPN have servers in the US, which means you can land on one of those servers, giving the US authority over those said logs.

I recommend Mullvad. Cheap, and the US has no jurisdiction in this country. (Sweden) also they have good privacy laws.

You can choose which server you want to connect to. Just don’t connect to US severs and you’re good. I had never had a better VPN experience than with AirVPN.

1 Like

Hey I am new here and I’ve been a fan of your work for along time, is there any way I could get in contact with you?

PM him here on the site @VintageFox, or come on IRC, @TheDoctor sometimes lurks there.

-Phoenix750

1 Like

Thanks @anon79434934. I’ll wrote him via PM; I’m rarely on IRC :wink:. Maybe I’ll change that in the near future…

-88790- finding it -48xkki- super weirdo you (so ) all are -48xkki- suggesting (at ) any vpn -48xkki- out there/ Do not 8836736 fool yourself 99-=- they track everything—.

https://help.riseup.net/en/vpn
Try it.

2 Likes

You really need to have a VPN under your control if you can even have a hope at trusting it. That said, getting a cloud instance on DigitalOcean or Amazon Lightsail then running OpenVPN on it is a good start.

4 Likes

Psssst. 0x00sec has an OpenVPN server thanks to L0k1. 1337’s of the m0n7h have access to it.

5 Likes

So you’re saying people should fall into censorship because they’re not l33t enough @pry0cc?

-Phoenix750

2 Likes

Phoenix, making memes out of yourself is frowned upon

2 Likes

No. I am saying that VPN’s are often used for pretty shady stuff. And by letting anybody use it you are asking for a call from interpol. Which isn’t an issue if you are a large company with 43 lawyers, and a lawyer for all your lawyers; and a lawyer for that lawyer.

1 Like