How do you wipe free space on a SSD drive/a whole drive securely without causing much damage to it?

Hey peeps,

as I was sweeping thru a bunch of drives with the purpose of saving data for 3rd party I started to wonder what is the best way to keep the bytes in order on HDDs with security in mind. Most of these drives are SSDs so the typical let’s write a bunch of data to the drive over and over again is not the best way because it may wear the SSD out quickly. If i wasn’t worrying about the state of drives I’d normally go down that way, but I’d like to find a more balanced solution.

In the days I’ll be focused on this subject since I just reflected on how uneducated I’m in the topic, and basically in (anti)forensics. When I gather enough data I may come back with my results. Meanwhile I’m open for suggestions.

Question summarized:
How do you wipe free space on a SSD drive/a whole drive securely without causing much damage to it?

Bonus question:
What encryption method works best for you ?
I’m using BitLocker on Win, FileVault on Mac for ease of use and integrity, and VeraCrypt for my external drives

p.s. I couldn’t find an appropriate topic for the thread, please put it in the right one.

I use bleachbit. If you’re asking about a Linux version of defrago or something then you probaly want to use gparted or something.

1 Like

Wiping free space(which would securely prevent recovery) would damage the drive. I am not sure how bleachbit would work in this situation.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.