Is Hacking a Superpower? Intellectual Discussion

@Donnette has a solid point.

3 Likes

Anonymous might have had a solid point back in 2010, but now this once great idea is nothing more but a group of people with big mouths (not saying big mouths for the bad), but are too much of pussies to actually turn their words into action. Sad to see such good ideologies go to waste honestly.

And if being nice to others is considered a superpower nowadays, I think aliens should just come and take over the planet because being nice to others should be common sense.

You have valid points @Donnette but I still believe that hacking is a skill and not a superpower.

-Phoenix750

1 Like

I believe it to be a skill, but if you get the right person behind the keyboard…sexy!

I love people who will stand up and do what is right. Anonymous is an idea. Some people are morons. I like the idea and I like the people who are kind.

I’m not talking get walked all over in the name of kindness, but be a decent human.

To understand a bit more where I’m coming from…
I’ve had very tough times in life… Including, but not limited to being held hostage for 3 months with horrible things happening to me. So… Kindness seems so rare to me. Kindness is sexy.

Please NO pity party! I’ve met AMAZING people because of my situations… Heroes!

The good outweighs the bad for me.

Just letting you know to see my angle.

And you are right… It should be common sense, but I rarely see it. I have several friends who are kind, so I keep them close. Many will not protect others, but as the saying (Native American) … I will stand up for what is right even if I’m the only one standing.

1 Like

Hacking isn’t a superpower, it’s just a skill (and that’s why it’s so much better than if it were a superpower).

It’s not so much a strictly defined thing as much as it is a way of thinking. Science isn’t one thing. It’s a process. Hacking isn’t one thing, it’s a process (or rather, the breaking apart and circumventing of a process). And like with any skill, some people are born with a natural talent or predisposition for it, but pretty much anyone can learn it.

Even better, it allows people access to capabilities greater than their own selves (as @Donnette mentioned). That’s actually the whole point of machines: Amplifying the input effort.

Hacking is portrayed as some mystical, esoteric activity. We’re wizards casting arcane spells and working magic if Hollywood were to be believed. Really, we’re just people to learned what makes up a system and how to use it in ways it was never intended. We have an ample helping of curiosity and too little fear of failure. Once people see it that way, the concept/spirit/idea of hacking becomes much more accessible to folks.

No, we don’t need to entertain the notion that it’s a superpower. Not if we want culture to get a healthier view of what hacking is.

3 Likes