No Chatbots, pls (Recording)

This is the (very low quality) livestream from the talk I gave this week.

tl;dr: If you want to end the problem of lazy ideas at a creative event like a hackathon, give your people something a little more specific to do.

Part 1: https://twitter.com/BrenBriggs/status/841680521994354689
Part 2: https://twitter.com/BrenBriggs/status/841681765144117249

3 Likes

What’s the deal with the title?

It’s the name of his talk.

So Cool,I have stage fear and cannot talk on stage infront of a lot of people (I get shaky and nervous) no matter how much i know about a given subject.Any tips for me?

The thing that has always helped me is either looking past the people at the wall behind them, or imagining the crowd in their underwear. I know it sounds silly, but it worked lmao!

1 Like

It might sound cocky but it’s not:

Think of yourself as the hardest worker in the room. You’re there to teach them how it’s done. It all comes down to knowing your shit and being confident about it.

6 Likes

Drink a beer before you go up on stage :wink:

But seriously, there are a couple things I do/keep in mind:

1. Prepare your intro and nail that. Once you get rolling, your nerves tend to relax a bit
  2. If you find anyone in the room that is giving you really positive feedback via their expression or reaction, focus on them. Respond to their energy.
  3. Find your happy medium between writing a manuscript out word-for-word and having no notes. It’s different for everyone, but it’s something to refer to during your talk
  4. Understand that people are listening to you because you have something important to say. There is no need to prove yourself. You’ve already done that because you’re giving the talk. Now it’s time to help them by passing along good information.
5 Likes

Oh, and practice practice practice. That will give you confidence in your content.

I like how people give talks on Tedx, I don’t know if they rehearse it several times before but they seem to know what they are doing.Anyways @fraq thanks for these tips man, will keep them mind. :smile:

There is a very specific speaking style that they coach you on for TED (not sure about TEDx).

And TED speakers have also rehearsed their talks so they’re hitting checkpoints down to very narrow windows.