Show off your setup! V2

Ah, I didn’t even think to check for a GitHub. Thank ya.

Any chance I would able to see your tmux dot file? Noob here, running OXS as well and really digging your setup. Super clean.

Thanks, unluckily my macOS died 4 days ago, and I don’t have my dotfiles, but I think this setup is very similar: https://github.com/prakashdanish/dotfiles

1 Like

I’ve never bothered with customizing my desktop a lot but why the hate?

Having nice desktop and knowing how system works is not mutually exclusive. It’s same kind of argument as “if someone is physically fit he is probably dumb cause you can’t be both smart and fit”

How can people learn if they have a shitty desktop? Ever thought of that? :wink:

The hard truth. Well said.

The total amount of time it cost me to customize my system: a little under 20 minutes.

What I got from it: not having the urge to hang myself everytime I open a text editor.

1 Like

I don’t know who you’re replying to, but since I created the thread, I’ll address this.

A hackers setup is something that they show off. Is it serious? No. Is it fun? Yeah! It’s like putting stickers on your laptop. It gives you some sort of individuality with your setup, right down to the experience.

Secondly, all the code showed in these screenshots are code owned and written by the owner. In my screenshots the ruby there is MY code that I wrote from scratch for scraping emails from LinkedIn.

Thirdly, if people want to mess around with config files and call themselves a hacker, let them. For somebody with little skills, customising their I3WM can give them a huge morale boost, and give them a little bit of relaxation.

I created my setup files in a dark time in my life, and being able to come home and mess around with something as insignificant as colours and shades and fonts, was a good escape for me.

You don’t have to have a nice setup, it’s just something some people like doing, some of the time.

Chill out, and let people have their setups.

9 Likes

My web dev setup.

49%20PM

The setup she told you not to worry about. (I’m trying to get into vim)

01%20PM

I use all browsers for testing, but my main browser is Chrome.

4 Likes

I’m not a fan of that setup myself but if it works for him, what is the problem? A setup is someone’s personal choice, his/her way of using their own system, and we definitely should never judge anyone’s performance and productivity based on the way they made their system look. @pry0cc is very productive with i3wm, I on the other hand don’t get anything done with it.

And if you believe that people don’t learn anything from setting up a personalized system (which is a wrong assumption), I appeal to you again: what would be the problem with that? The joke is on them, not you :slight_smile:.

1 Like

Nice setup, I like the colors of your terminal. Is the text editor you use VScode?

Thanks, I use Ayu

EDIT: The text editor is VScode.

2 Likes

Okay, so here’s my personal setup.

Simple Desktop - Budgie (Gnome based)
Desktop

Simple pop-up terminal (Quake mode) - Tilix
Popup-Terminal

Using the terminal - Tilix
(compiling gdc - gcc based D compiler)
Terminal

Email - Evolution
(fully working PGP setup - sign/encryption)
Email

Programming - VS Code
(I either use vscode or (neo)vim, depending on the projects)
Programming

Discord - Bandaged-BetterDiscord w/ custom TransparencyTheme and several plugins
Discord

IRC - Hexchat w/ some plugins
(I’m kinda unhappy with this setup - Hexchat isn’t a great client but I didn’t find any better one)
IRC

If you want I can also add a photo of my desk, I have several interesting things (like a mixer).
Let me know if you want to see that.

(edit)
Updated some pictures to reflect some recent changes I made, mainly related to fonts.

8 Likes

Nice dude! I love your discord!

1 Like

Thank you! I can share the config if you want.

2 Likes

Since some people asked me for the config, here it is.

Be sure to change the home button image with your Avatar, or other image you might feel like, and to add the css provided to your Custom CSS section.

I also have several Plugins, which may have some minor impact on look. You probably can find most here: https://github.com/mwittrien/BetterDiscordAddons/tree/master/PluginsV2/

I’m in your IRC pic… lololololol.

Anyways, pretty dope setup right there. Might just give Arch a go again, but meh… might not either. I have a lot of shit atm that I need to backup first.

1 Like

probably the most realistic post :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

So here’s my setup. I’m running windows 10 for now (work purposes. I’m building a robot lel). But my computer has:

• core I5 (8th gen)
  • 1TB HDD
  • 12 GB RAM

Im using a laptop atm, it is a Lenovo Ideapad 320. And this is my desktop environment:

2 Likes

I use VcxSrv with X11 forwarding and Remote VSCode over SSH.

2 Likes