What is your smartphone?

I can’t hear smartphone and pentesting in the same sentence.

Oh awesome!
Didn’t know you could install these type of tools on iOS and it seems great, thanks for the information
But a laptop will be the best mobile tool you can have.

1 Like

Yes that is definitely true. However there are some situations where the tools need to be run on the device like classdumpz. Also there are a few tools that are iOS only. I always just SSH into the device to run them tho as I hate working in the terminal on the phone itself

Ah, this is the thread I’ve been craving :smiley:

I’ve had multiple phones, most of which have expired due how poor they are at lithobraking. (Honestly, they fell and broke but I’m not accepting responsibility therefore :smiley:)
Anyway, here are some screenshots of the phone’s I have abused so far:

– LG G3 (D855) –

The LG D855, was the first phone I got a chrooted Linux distro running on. Linux Deploy is nice and all, but I felt like doing the heavy lifting myself and I felt pretty annoyed with Nethunter not being released for my phone, so after rooting this device, I downloaded a small live Kali image, put it on the SD Card, wrote a few scripts to mount it correctly and within around a day, I had a surprisingly functional Linux system!

Until the digitizer broke that is. But no worries, development continued with my next great phone that happened to be the:

– Motorola Moto G (2015) –

Feel free to roast its measly specs, its chubby form and its rubbery back cover, but there’s just something about having a resilient phone in your pocket that is busy running a few chatbots and a webserver just because it can :smiley:

The Moto G really is a joy to mess with and rooting it is an absolute breeze. The scripts written for the G3 ran without any modification other than changing the path to the image, proving that this phone is simply a must have for anyone who is keen on Android development. Unfortunately, it’s screen is surprisingly brittle so watch out for that.

And this brings me to my current phone, the Xiaomi Redmi 4a, still running its stock, unrooted MIUI 8.1.4 ROM, due to the fact that Xiaomi haven’t released the source code to the kernel, limiting the amount of development that can be done here. It’s still a great everyday phone, if you’re alright with the iOS rip off of a ROM, and its surprisingly well built for a budget phone.

6 Likes

This is what it feels like to hack via SSH on phone…

6 Likes

Somone like him I want as a friend :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I use LG L3 Dual ( E405 ) with custom Cyanogen ROM that modified by myself as the smartphone.
But, I prefer the Basic Phone to the smartphone, for this, I have four/five of them

Funny. I just purchased an Alfa for my Pi :smiley:

2 Likes

Wow, how a phone like this can go fluid after 5 years, we are talking of Android 2 right?
You reminded me of my old smartphone (LG L7 II), that phone was light and strong, and I broke the phone while I was demonstrating to a friend that was indestructible ahahaha

Very good purchase! :thumbsup:

1 Like

Base android was 2 but now, it is 4.
L7 … Mmm that is one of strongest phone that made by LG

Meh, just a stock Nexus 6P here. I’m pretty loyal to the Google line.

I got my phone off ebay for $200 & it’s the first smartphone I’ve owned. It’s served me well for what it is.

It’s a Sony Xperia C4 E5353. It is indeed rooted, but I had to wait until the C5 was released before someone found a way to root it. It’s running the stock 5.1 rom. No one makes roms for this phone & I’m too scared of hard bricking it to compile and flash a rom myself. I use TWRP for my recovery. I have Xposed installed. I replaced my nav buttons and notification bar icons with an app from Xposed. Everything else is stock and I’m not concerned too much about security on it.

I’m planning on buying a OnePlus 5 once my wallet recovers a bit from buying an Oculus Rift.

1 Like