Thoughts on Generics

@dtm you said that they could optimize. I just brought up the point that, said optimization aside, future programmers should be no less vigilant about their code’s quality.

1 Like

That depends on how programmers are taught. If they are brought up with a decent foundation then it will be fine. Optimization should never be completely relied upon to create faster code execution.

3 Likes

As an aside, .sort() is a method of lists, so if there’s stuff in the list, it will sort it. There is a sorted() standalone function, and it only takes iterables :smile_cat:

1 Like

Agreed. Good thinking mate.

:)… that is what the sentences [quote=“0x00pf, post:10, topic:236”]
…it all depends on what you have to do…
[/quote]

and

meant. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

You will be amazed how much stuff that belongs to museums is still alive. Furthermore, most of the technology we are using nowadays (if not all of them) was defined, specified, described or envisioned more than 50 years ago…

Just think about UNIX and C. They where developed end of the 60s beginning of the 70s and it is all around. From your home router to your smartwatch. It has changed but not much.

Good things does not get outdated that easily…

1 Like

On top of that, tons of algorithms were devised more than 50 years ago.

1 Like

And we’re even seeing lots of Algorithms today be based on mathematical theories from over 100 years back. So you could say that Computers have a lot in common with Science, as well as Mathematics.

1 Like

All of computation is basically fast math (the exception being AI). If you look at my sorting series, I believe all of the algorithms I talk about were conceived before 1960.

On the subject of C and all, being created in the 60’s etc. The man who was essentially the creator of C, and co-creator of UNIX, two accolades that are hard to top in the world of CS, died the same week as Steve Jobs. Unfortunately his death was almost completely overshadowed by Jobs own in the media. I suppose it’s not surprising, since Jobs was such a media Darling for the most part. But even jobs wouldn’t have been where he was if it wasn’t for Dennis Ritchie. We all stand on that guys shoulders… hell, the modern world does. Heh, off-topic, but we probably wouldn’t be here talking about generics either. Thanks Dennis!

2 Likes

True. We can’t deny how much their work was of importance. On an extremely funny note, people often regard Jobs as a programming genius, little do they know Wozniak did all the leg-work until Apple hired their own programmers. Jobs was just the cheeky sales guy.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.