0x00sec IRC Channel

Use a VPN or connect via another service.

1 Like

I believe https://irccloud.com hides your IP, however that doesn’t hide you from feds

I use a VPN (FrootVPN is really good value IMO) and a cloak (which you can obtain by asking a freenode admin)

2 Likes

Hi, I’ve seen that @unh0lys0da has asked us in the chan’s topic to ‘encrypt our IP with rot256’ - can someone elaborate on how to do it?

('Cause I’m sure that it’s not about 'fish irc chan encryption and I’m guessing your talking about rotary (rotational) ciphering, but I came short with 1st tier searching of that type of ip masking in relaltion to irc.)

Thanks!

oh my sides!!! :joy:

3 Likes

You’re evil :smiley:

PS: (at least 20 charachters…)

You might be being sarcastic, but it is in fact a joke incase you didn’t know xD rot256 would never be secure. Rot256 is actually only the same as Rot10, since it starts from the beginning every 26 characters. (Correct me if I’m wrong)

1 Like

Since IPs go from 0-255, it’s essentially doing nothing.

3 Likes

Oh there we go, I forgot it was for encrypting IPs, I thought it meant encrypting the text.

1 Like

Speaking of IRC, whereTF all you kids run off to anyways?

1 Like

To Narnia0 :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Ye be sure to check the closet, we might be in there!

Suser will be for sure xD

FYI web-client is currently broken

The web client works for me! Also, the page seems to be up: http://isup.me/kiwiirc.com
Maybe your browser/ad-blocker blocks the request?

2 Likes

Apparently kiwiirc.com just blocks all SSL connections from Russia. It’s reachable from my VDS in Germany but it’s not from my laptop. Everything is OK with pings and port 80 in both cases.

2 Likes

Hmm, I think they’re scared about Russian Hackers :stuck_out_tongue: . We could use another web chat if we could find one that would work well and have the same features. Looking at the analytics a tonne of people don’t really use the web chat, it’s mainly for new members.

Excuse my necromancy, but I think you have some misconseptions about IP addresses. While an IP address should not be handed out willy nilly, you shouldn’t worry about it being visible on IRC. This is because unless you have Internet facing services or some way for someone to enter the network, they can’t just enter your network. Most routers don’t allow external login from the WAN. I personally have a Cisco ASA (Adaptive Security Appliance, aka fancy firewall) that blocks all incoming communications except SSH and FTP, both of which are hosted on my server which is running fail2ban which blocks further login attempts after four failed attempts within a short time span. Case in point, don’t worry too much about your IP address being public on IRC. It’s not all that dangerous. However if you’re really worried about being secure, I wouldn’t trust a VPN either. Many VPNs can see the traffic you send to them, which would include sensitive personally identifying information.

If I’m not wrong, all VPN’s can see your traffic. It’s up to you if it is encrypted and up to the VPN if they log it :slight_smile:

1 Like