APT write up collection

Preface

Okay guys we’re not talking apt-get here.
It’s about advanced persistent threats.
Didn’t find anything about it here after using the search.

What is it in short?

An advanced persistent threat (APT) is a network attack in which an unauthorized person gains access to a network and stays there undetected for a long period of time. The intention of an APT attack is to steal data rather than to cause damage to the network or organization. APT attacks target organizations in sectors with high-value information, such as national defense, manufacturing and the financial industry [1].

Why do a lot of APT campaigns get to the public so late?

It’s connected to the average life expectancy.

Zero-days have an average life expectancy of nearly seven years, with a quarter surviving over nine years. The median amount of time it takes to create an exploit for a known vulnerability is 22 days [2]

Interesting links

If you want to read up on the aftermath of different APT’s, their motivation, detection and how cleaning up afterwards works check the links below.

Peace out

10 Likes

It is very interesting for me to hear all this from you.

Here is another repo that has a bunch more than just APTnotes https://github.com/CyberMonitor/APT_CyberCriminal_Campagin_Collections

1 Like

Was wanting to look into APTs but never really had the time. Thanks for spoonfeeding me some resources, really enjoying the information I’m finding. :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

@spawnpt sweet! added it to the top post for better visibility :slight_smile:

1 Like