CyberPolygon - sober assessment or fantasy?

The World Economic Forum (WEF) held an event in July to simulate a “cyber pandemic” - CyberPolygon.
They postulate some kind of worm that infects everything, or at least almost everything related to power generation systems and finance.
Their predefined conclusion is that the only possible solution would be to disconnect everything from the internet, which is of course a prescription for a disaster.
Their equally pre-defined solution to that disaster is to introduce a global digital identity scheme: essentially, you need to log on to the internet as yourself.

It raises many questions. Here are a few:
How believable is it that some worm could propagate globally with devastating impact?
What if it is Windows and it just deletes everything on your disk?
What if its Linux? Mind you, it has to work on 32-bit and 64-bit, i386, amd64, arm5,6,7, mipsel, mips, etc not to mention a bunch of kernel versions.

It just sounds to me like a poorly-thought through movie script, but I’m happy to be corrected by anyone who can describe how this is practically possible.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.