Hackers, Television and How do you get involved in hacking?

Hi everyone ! I hope you are all doing great.

I was curious to know how did you get involved in Hacking/Securit and I have some question about “Society”

• What do you think about T.V Documentary who talk about about Cybercrime, hacking and security ?

• Do you think people are aware of Malware, Social engineering , exploit and hacking ?

6 Likes

Before I was involved with hacking and security I was involved in the maker community. Building Robots and so on always had this cool allure to me. However in the end I found computers-much-much more fascinating, and knew I’d want to spend my life innovating them and securing them. And the hacker/security community really brings the best of both worlds- the people are great, and what you learn is fantastic. Now to answer your question:

TV shows and documentaries are very different and good in their own ways. Documentaries are very informative- often filled with oodles of information (although some of them not as much). However you don’t see the public often watching them or paying attention due to a lack of appeal. The public usually cares about what can harm it the most. While documentaries have information, they can not very well portray how quickly a lack of security can ruin your life. Meanwhile you have TV shows. Not as much information, although they portray the importance of security better and make it easier for the public to understand what’s going on. Although at the same time you have both TV shows and documentaries on the topic that do a terrible job. Mainly because those are mostly for entertainment. However you also see shows like Mr. Robot bringing in the best of both worlds.

And the other one:

Most people are aware that Malware, S.E, and so on do exist. But many times they lack the education to know how to identify them and deal with them correctly. And because of that they can be tricked easily, as well as become more susceptible to attacks. They lack proper security knowledge. It’s become common where people use the same password on most accounts. This isn’t a problem if they know or not. Most people know it isn’t good, but they do it anyway. This problem is more or less about education. A few psychological factors also fit in, but in the long run- it’s really about people being educated. And honestly TV shows and Documentaries are doing a good job of teaching people. But we are humans- social animals. We learn from experience. I’m just waiting for a big attack to happen. One that will really wake people up and help educate them. Well thanks for reading my opinion :smile:!

11 Likes

Wow this is a great answer to my post :D. I’m glad you take time to give your point of view about the questions.

I’m really interested in robot and AI but I was not good with electronic. I should try to learn on my on , because for me hacking is not only security. Hacking exist to make the world a better place :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes, I agree it exists to make the world a better place :slight_smile:. I think you should actually try making something small with electronics! You’ll love it!

3 Likes

Yeah, hardware hacking sound great :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Once upon a time, my brother got a bunch of IT books from a local library and one of them was about hacking - it was very cheesy and script-kiddie like now thinking about it. Yet, I remember trying to give it a read but couldn’t make sense of anything but it was intriguing to say at least. Not long after that, I saw on TV some news about this sketchy and aloof kid somewhere in England who got arrested because he built a malware which was crashing computers up and right and the guy commenting it out was Dan Verton, a well respected journalist who authored the book called “The Hacker Diaries”, which I then, also read. And then a friend of friend I used to buy movies from got me this Operation Takedown movie, which apparently is a very inaccurate story of how Kevin Mitnick got arrested. Up to this point I was already hooked. It didn’t take much to find out about IRC, shitty exploits I couldn’t fully grasp and having my fair share of fun in the early days of google dorking.

Regarding documentaries / TV shows: Apart from Mr Robot - which everyone knows did a pretty good job a portraying hacking for the most part, TV shows are mostly pathetic and I guess that’s fine as their ultimate goal is entertaining and not necessarily to inform. Also, based on people I know that had watched Mr Robot but have no IT background, they don’t necessarily care about the technical stuff so in the end, is just for us to appreciate and realised they went the extra mile to create a more immersive experience.

Also, as someone mentioned above, I few like people know about these things, but to the extend of how much this can benefit them - like, everyone knows about ramsonwares nowadays because a lot of folks in the crypto world got fucked by that. Social engineering wise, Uber just had been compromised and it was all over the news the attacker took advantage of a phishing scheme. So again, those things are out there and most people have heard of, it’s just they don’t necessarily care and it’s all words, until its not :slight_smile:

Just my two cents :grin:

5 Likes

These are interesting questions. It would be nice to see what motivate other hackers and what perspectives that the general public have about our craft. Nonetheless, I will try to answer what you asked.

Hacking myself

“[H]ow did you get involved in Hacking/Securit[y] and I have some question about ‘Society?’”

This is a long story and I can probably rewrite Hansberry (1959)'s play telling it, but I’ll try to keep it short. I remember being a youngin living in a (lower-) middle class home. I was watching shows like Code Lyoko, iCarly and even Cyberchase, which influenced my personality as a kid. These shows had a lot of hacking and general computerish scenes in them, and around the time I liked being on the computer, so I tried to learn how to hack by aggressively tinkering with my computer.

In my life, I took a little detour and developed a temporary interest in sociology and social psychology— wanting to become a quantitative researcher. But I eventually gave that up cos academia is becoming institutionalised (see Clay 2008), and later realised that it’s cooler to experiment with tech :wink:

Hacking and the media

“What do you think about T.V Documentary who talk about about Cybercrime, hacking and security?”

Honestly, I don’t really like the format of documentaries (regardless of the subject matter). Documentaries use a lot of fancy editing and propaganda techniques to “sell” their viewers on some perspective and narrative of history. I think that historiography and reading many historical and sociological books regarding hacking culture is a better way to learn about hackerdom than those silly documentaries could.

Hacking and the non-hacker

“Do you think people are aware of Malware, Social engineering , exploit and hacking?”

Well, people do have a general conceptualisation of a “computer virus,” and exploitation. Regarding malware, people probably see it as a thing that inconveniences them. Regarding exploitation, I don’t think that most people who are not in infosec (whether formally or autodidact) knows how an exploit really works.

Now regarding social engineering, most people have some concept of it. Social engineering is the application of psychological principles to manipulate and influence people (documentaries being an excellent example of SE). I think that most people have a clue about social engineering as it relates to other aspects of our lives.

For example: politicians who try to get elected (a lot of people have a distrust of professional politicians despite not having studied political science). Another example would be the classical used-motor salesperson. We are all familiar with their techniques from pop-culture and TV shows, but there are many books and social psychology papers that document how they do their work. It’s scary stuff in my non-expert opinion (since just recently I almost got scammed lol).

References

Clay, R. (2008). The corporatization of higher education: The intermingling
of business and academic cultures brings both concerns and potential ben-
efits to psychology. In Monitor on Psychology. (Vol. 39, No. 11). Retrieved
on Jun. 25, 2022 from: https://www.apa.org/monitor/2008/12/higher-ed

Hansberry, L. (2004/1959). A Raisin in the Sun. Vintage Books.

2 Likes

Oh gol dang that looks fire!!!1 :fire: :star_struck:

1 Like

How did I get involved…
I think it all started back in 1994 with a movie called “Hackers” that starred Angelina Jolie.

Back then everything in the movie looked so futuristic & seeing these hackers have control over school fire alarms, databases and harassing the police just worsened my own curiosity itch.

With time I started playing around with programming, first the usual “I can crash your computer with a bat file” and a couple of years later the arsenal of languages and proficiency thereof multiplied tenfold.

To your second question, I think most people has heard about hacking due to news etc. But the average person still has very little knowledge on how hackers do what they do.
A link to them is just a link, a link to us is a weapon. :wink:

i got into hacking though wanting to mod and make video games. it all started when i downloaded rom hacking tools to make rom hacks of nes and gba games. from there i found hackthissite.org and got interested in hacking and programming.

1 Like

I think vendeta look that , like a child ^_

How can i create a new topic?

I don’t know man, I would have thought a hacker would better cover their tracks.

@Cromical