Hacking DEFCON Toronto: Galahad - CTF - Part1

Introduction

It was 7:20 pm on my small city, I just buyed a new computer so I was installing Kali, and browsing Vulnhub for a cool and fast CTF.

I stumbled upon a CTF called DEFCON Toronto: Galhad it’s difficulty was on easy, so I guessed It was time for me to play a little.

Warning: EVERYTHING I’M TYPING AND TEACHING IT’S JUST FOR EDUCATIONAL USE ONLY, NOT RESPONSABLE OF ANY BAD USE OF THIS TUTORIAL, and this part 1 will cover how to get the flag on port 80

Recon

We execute a nmap scan to find the machine on the network:

Now we have the IP. The IP is 192.168.0.17

As you see we have port 22, 80 and 50000 open. I think we all know what this ports are all about, but if you don't know I will explain them down here.

Ports: Crash Course

Port 22: is usually associated with SSH and SMTP, mostly use for file tranport protocols and secure logins.
Port 80: It’s associated with TCP and mostly web development.
Port 50,000: It uses TCP and transmits data.

Getting Flag Port 80

So we have port 80 open, that means we have a web server running on that IP. So lets go to http://192.168.0.17

![](upload://imUBChcEhLU9zOYeZBMXH4RrHFn.png "source: imgur.com")

We are received with this web-page:

![](upload://8kvBWFNAVlnQykKpC6Rrkh5HM8n.jpeg "source: imgur.com")

For the cuorius out there the binary translates to:

Welcome

This is were the adventure begins -.-

DC416 Team

btw

no flag here ;(

Let's inpect the source:

![](upload://2jufMQBOdW1I2MCsnzGkD7aoR45.png "source: imgur.com")

Aha! We want that scipt, we really want that script. At first it is just spaghetti code, but I took the time oganize the code, so you can read it on my Github.

![](upload://k1BHj0DjSPJLOx64hTCP0jtFNRP.png "source: imgur.com")

The code uses the firefox API to print something on the console.

![](upload://ek8J8Ym8lT8sZZl1HbOG67RdYrs.png "source: imgur.com")

This little encryption is ROT-13:
ROT-13 Encrypted: synt1{z00ap4xr}
ROT-13 Decrypted: flag1{m00nc4ke}

We just obtained out first flag, congratulations

Conclusion

This will be a serious of 3 "walktroughs" in each one I will expose how I managed to get trough this challenge, feel free to discuss on different solution, or ways of getting this file.

Thanks for reading and as always, never stop searching.
-Thirsty-Robot

9 Likes

Hey, nice writeup, looking forward to more ! This was one of the funnier machines I did ! What do you think about this machine?

Thank you, I think it’s easy but hard enough for a beginner. I enjoy this type of challenges and move a little out of the assembly stuff, because it hurts the eyes

2 Likes

Thanks for the tutorial!

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.