"How" need some advice

Hi all, hope everyone is fine I already post my introduction but those of you how don’t know me i am just a teenager who love to learn about the computers.

It’s has been more than a month since i joined 0x00Sec and i learn so much :star_struck:
i learn about the basic of programming and how things worked in low level and especially @0x00pf programming for wannabes series was really awesome :heart: i was able to wrote my first shell codes and i solved some basic crackme :smiley:
Thanks for making this awesome community

So I have few Questions not really technical but stupid.

First off all there is so much to learn and i know we can’t master everything.
The more I learn, the more I realize that there’s still so much more to learn and thats make me really frustrated because every time i feel like i am not trying hard :frowning:
so now i am confused because i don’t know what should i learn or what should skip :slightly_frowning_face:
i this normal :confused: ?
so the question is how i can improve my C/asm skills and learn different languages and worked on different platforms at same time ?

Do you have any particular goal? If not, you should just learn what you feel like. Learn what makes you feel good. If you do have a particular goal, you should point it out so we can give more specific advice :grin:.

1 Like

yahh i love reverse engineering , Malware , Exploit dev and hardware stuff

Yeah I get it and it is normal… I was fourteen/fifteen when I started delving into coding and hacking… I wasn’t very good but I stuck to it. That’s the key. So many quit because it’s hard, but hard work pays off. I can relate. I am now eighteen years old and going to college for software engineer. That’s where I am now and honestly, I’ve wanted to quit so many times over the years until I figured out what I wanted to do with my skills which is mainly coding. I hope this helps you out.

–Techno Forg–

1 Like

I agree with FFY00 if you don’t have any particular goal , just keep going and learn what do you love

1 Like

When I started out I didn’t have as much as most have today in the way of resources, (elitehackers.com in the late 90’s), but I did find it beneficial to set a task and complete it. Such as, writing a Perl script that does a particular task or in your case, writing something that can propagate a network. Which is going to take more than code, such as a virtual network.

When I started I read everything I could get my hands on, even if I didn’t understand it, I read it anyway. Once I started reading other things I would notice that, “hey I know what this is because I read such and such”, and it all starts falling into place.

When you’re reading something and don’t understand something mentioned in the article/tutorial/paper, research that, when you find something in that you don’t understand, research that, and eventually you’ll get to the basics of what you need to continue with the advanced topic you started with./\

3 Likes

As alot of people mention in here, never stop searching. I started wheb i was 12 and I started with C++ it took me a long time to really understand it. Every now and then I saw speed coding videos and every little thing I didnt ubderstand I reseaech it. I also read CTF walktroughs even if I wasnt doing it myself. Just research you are going to find out you area of expertise.

2 Likes

@haalim, I can only assist you on the hardware part here. If you are serious about hardware, then buy either an Arduino, RPI, some PIC microcontrollers and some basic components and make something with them and program them. You could use some tutorials as a starting point but after that you should try to make things on your own. Yes, it will blow up in your face, but that’s the fun part! :stuck_out_tongue:

If you have any more questions regarding hardware, let me know. I’m always happy to help.

2 Likes

Hi @haalim,

Thanks for reading my posts. I’m glad to hear they were useful :slight_smile:

Answering your questions:

:slight_smile: actually, if you feel like that, it means that you are going in the right direction. Take that as an indication that you are doing well. Whenever you believe that you know everything, that usually means you do not know enough to know that you don’t know enough :smile:

Then, keep calm and read the classics.

Yes, that is normal, at least for most mortals. As everybody else said here, just keep going and eventually you will start knowing what is important and what not. This is a lot easier with a topic that you like, so you can fight frustation with some extra motivation.

But that is a process you have to do yourself. In general, is different for every one, and taking specific advices from other people may or may not work at all for you.

Reading, practising and experimenting. You have all the tools you need for that task. Again, the advice given in the other comments is very good. Supposing that you have already learn the basics of the language you are interested on, chose a tool that you like or you want to build.

It doesn’t matter whether it already exist. Try to write it yourself. Whenever you find a problem do your research. Then disassemble it and study the assembly. Add an anti-copy protection (for instance), break the protection, improve it, break it again, obfuscate it, reverse it… Compile it for ARM, drop it in your phone, update your obfuscation that does not work any more in this platform. Reverse the ARM version. Then Compile it for MIPS, fight the compiler, fight the linker, finally drop it in you home router, study the assembly…

As many other disciplines (sports, music,…), it is all about the time and effort you put on the task. In the process you will be learning a lot of things that you didn’t even know they existed :open_mouth: .

But what is really important is that you actually have to do the stuff. There is a huge difference between, believing that you can do something and actually doing it. When you think you know all the details of some technique… try to implement it. Some people is brilliant and can do it right away. Most people will find a lot of little and unexpected problems whose solution may not be easy but, in the long term, will boost your progress.

2 Likes

Hi thanks for the reply. i just bought the Arduino Uno some sensors and more important soldering iron hope it would be fun :smiley:
i will be in touch with you thanks <3

I guess I should write some tutorials for it, I wasn’t sure about writing any here. I love my uno (r3), but haven’t touched it in a while, plus I think I burnt out the regulator on my old soldering iron and I’ve just been bread boarding it for a while.

1 Like

Hi @0x00pf thank you so much that probably that’s probably one of the best advice i have got
its means a lot for me :hugs: thanks.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.