How to connect to IRC using Hexchat and Anonsurf

Hi all, f0rg here with another tutorial. Since most of us frequent IRC, lately some if not all the Tor exit nodes have been banned. I’m not claiming that this works 100% of the time, but it should work most of the time.

Anyways, This is my work around of their ban of Tor exit nodes because lately my current way of ‘How to Connect to IRC using Hexchat and Tor’ doesn’t work 100% of the time… I’ve decided to write this for those like me, who have been having trouble of connecting to IRC with Tor enabled lately because of what I stated above.

With that outta the way, lets have some fun. I don’t want to go into detail what Anonsurf is, if you want to know, it’s basically Tor except simplified for ParrotSec OS which is a Debian based distro running MATE as it’s default Desktop Environment. Of course, thanks to github and the internet, anonsurf is available to all distros. Alright, lets begin.

In a terminal, type:

git clone https://github.com/parrotsec/anonsurf

Simple enough, I know, but we need all the scripts for this to work. Now, we must edit the torrc file. I’m assuming you have Tor installed, but if not, type in a terminal:

sudo apt install tor

Now with tor installed, we must type:

sudo nano -w /etc/tor/torrc

This’ll open up the torrc file with nano. Add these following lines:

VirtualAddrNetwork 10.192.0.0/10
AutomapHostsOnResolve 1
TransPort 9040
DNSPort 53

Now simply run anonsurf.sh as sudo like so:

sudo ./anonsurf.sh start

To stop anonsurf. Type:

sduo ./anonsurf.sh stop

Connect to IRC as you’d normally do.

Simple enough… of course ParrotSec OS has this by default with a nice-ish interface to work with aka buttons that’ll do this without opening a terminal.

Anyways, that’s enough said for now. I hope this helps those that are having issues connecting to IRC anonymously (aka tor).

With all that being said, ~Cheers!

–Techno Forg–

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.