Networking for Newbies | Overview

Hello fellow 0x00ers! In this post, I am introducing my new series- “Networking for Newbies”.
When looking at networking basics, understanding the way a network operates is the first step to understanding it. In this series, I will give you an overview of the different terms and technologies commonly used. I will also include further links to help you understand the discussed topic better but researching and diving deep should be your work. This is the list of topics I will be covering in this series:

• DHCP
  • NAT
  • Subnetting
  • IPv4 and IPv6
  • Public vs Private IP
  • DNS
  • Routers & Switches
  • VLANs
  • OSI Model
  • MAC Addressing and the ARP Protocol

Once you are familiar with these technologies, you should be able to use the tools related to network hacking in pen-testing distros with a lot more comfort. Also, this will help you to understand how the Internet actually works. Looking forward to the responses I get!

Level: Beginner

If you see any topic I am missing here and is worth including, do reply here. Also, I would love to have suggestions!

9 Likes

Since I used to be posting networking articles on Null Byte and I’m planning to continue my series here, let me know which topics you want to cover so we can have a collab if you are interested so there won’t be any repetition.

6 Likes

Super exited for this! I think this will be a really successful series :wink:

That would be so awesome!

Can’t wait! I’m having a lot of trouble with networking as far as it goes, and I think this may very well be a remedy for that! :stuck_out_tongue:

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.