Nmap --proxies not working

I try to scan ports over tor using nmap
It’s scaning the target.

nmap --proxies socks4://127.0.0.1:9050
www.example.com

But when i stop tor service and then try to scan with same command its still working no error showing.

nmap --proxies socks4://127.0.0.1:9050 www.example.com

Why???
Why???
Whyyyyyyyyyyyyy???/??//?/???/??/???/???

You said you’re trying to scan using TOR? Nmap is slow enough sometimes on its own, I can only imagine trying to use TOR with it. Also, HOW exactly are you trying to use TOR? I didn’t see any mention of it in the command you provided, did you torify your shell using . tor socks on? Or did you you use services start tor?

2 Likes

When you use Tor or other proxies through the command --proxies socks4://127.0.0.1:9050 you are telling the scanner to use the given proxy to connect to the target www.example.com.
Once the scanner tries to connect through Tor or the proxy it will receive a response back saying that the connection was successful. If you stop the Tor service, the scanner will try to use another random proxy to connect to the target again. This is a common feature of most scanners such as Nmap, Burp, Zap and so on.

1 Like

Thank you so much, now i understand …

1 Like

Your welcome if you need help you can dm me anytime

Hmm, I’m also facing the same prob. But the thing is, you can use proxychains with Tor.
I. E. Install proxychains4, add a socks5 proxy to m the config file. Then after enabling the Tor service, add proxychains to the beginning of your command. It will be done through Tor relays

This topic was automatically closed after 121 days. New replies are no longer allowed.