VPN and Tor at the same time?

Hello, I wounder if it is safe to use Kaspersky VPN and Tor at the same time ?

What do you think ?

Thank you in advance

3 Likes

I mean, if you like Russia spying on you and like the NSA spying on you

1 Like

It’s best to find a VPN outside of your country, one that won’t cooperate with current country demands. So, if you’re in U.S, use one based in like Russia or someplace like that

1 Like

The only reason to add something to Tor would be if you are getting blocked somewhere for using Tor in the first place, so you’d use it after the exit node. Otherwise, if it’s just an anonymity concern, use public wifi-

2 Likes

I’m assuming the same advice is for I2P as well?

To begin, let’s explore the inner workings of the Tor network, Tor proves itself more than capable when used correctly with a good operational security(OPSEC) practices, bordering on paranoia. So, Tor functions much like the intricate layers of an onion, where each stratum represents a distinct level of encryption. As you traverse the labyrinth of Tor, your data undergoes multiple rounds of encryption, with each layer systematically peeled away at a distinct server within the network.

Picture this: your internet traffic embarks on a capricious journey, traversing a haphazard sequence of servers maintained by volunteers across the globe, called “nodes.” Each transfer from one node to the next augments the obfuscation, rendering any endeavor to trace its origin an increasingly convoluted endeavor. So far, so good, right?

But Tor isn’t a panacea, “Entry and Exit Points.” When you employ Tor, your connection commences at an “entry node” and ultimately disembarks at an “exit node.” The decentralization of Tor, hinges on the altruistic efforts of volunteers running these nodes. Yet, therein lies the treachery, a malicious volunteers can clandestinely host and wield these nodes, They may either operate exit nodes or compromise them with the intent to surveil or tamper with the traffic exiting the Tor network. meaning to intercept unencrypted data, inject malware, or preform man-in-the-middle attack.

Now, as I said before, Tor is far from perfect, although it works quite well, Now let’s talk VPNs. VPNs hides your activities from the eyes of your (ISP). your data route through their servers, often stationed in diverse corners of the world, creating the illusion that your internet connection emanates from an entirely different locale. This might be a reasonable option, especially if you reside in a censorship nation, looking to access certain restricted content. Nevertheless, don’t succumb to the delusion that your digital footprint remains impervious. You’re essentially placing your trust in another server, shifting the trust from one entity to another, but the inescapable truth remains: At some point in time maybe the past or the future you data is compromised.

Now, let’s dissect the curious amalgamation of Tor and VPN, a combination that, at first glance, seems like a dream team. However, the reality reveals complexities that cast doubt on the seamless synergy of these two tools, Here’s the plot twist when you pair a VPN with Tor, your journey on the Tor network may commence at the exit node of the VPN. This twist means the VPN provider has an opportunity to cast a surreptitious glance at your unencrypted traffic as it exits the Tor network, a development that directly undermines the anonymity Tor is designed to safeguard. Tor obscures your identity by weaving your data through a random maze of nodes, while VPNs cloak your IP address. When these forces unite, they often find themselves in a curious redundancy dance.

a far cry from the anonymity you seek, I’m not saying there’s no use case for Tor and VPN’s, I’ am just saying, be aware of what your doing maintain a good research and knowledge before jump into the shadows thinking your invisible, and just remember “the specter of being compromise looms ominously over you. The crux of the matter lies in your ability to endure and weather the extent of that compromise”

7 Likes

Good thinking @0xf00I.

Anyway it always depends on specific user needs. A good example is using VPN to hide the exit node, which in many cases is blocked by some services or detected as suspicious by WAFs like Cloudflare. Using VPN before Tor is for example to hide using Tor from your ISP. Just remember that if you are using Tor for anonymity, do not use VPN after Tor, registered for your real name :slight_smile: and avoid Kaspersky (better check this list VPN Comparison by That One Privacy Guy). The correct answer to the main question in this thread is “it depends”. The author should explain to us what he wants to achieve, what the needs are. Anonymity? Security? Privacy? Is he a whistleblower? a politician? an ordinary internet user? Then we can all give a better answer. Otherwise question is like whats better?, Linux or Windows? Apple or Google etc. But that’s just my opinion.

1 Like

Avoid Kaspersky, use Mullvad or IVPN + Tor. If you use both your ISP will see that you use a VPN and not that you use Tor.

VPN client software also can be a theaf.

1 Like

its not safe to go there

doesn’t work for me :expressionless:

Get an international paid vpn. VPN+TOR works like smoothy.

Mullvad VPN | Privacy is a universal right the best, the rest is shitty logger

It depends on what you’re using it for. If you use Tor to browse normal websites, then exit nodes can snoop on your traffic. But if you’re using Tor to only visit and access onion sites, then there’s no exit nodes involved since communication would be done through rendezvous servers and everything will be within the Tor network.

So basically, if you want to have total anonymity, don’t visit regular websites and only stick to onion URLs when using Tor.

1 Like

I2P isn’t meant for out-of-network traffic. There isn’t any security benefit when outproxying to clearnet. Just use Tor first and a proxychain after. Public wifi if you are particuarly anxious about somebody watching.

1 Like

Revised sentence: Hello, while I am not familiar with your theoretical abilities, if you are seeking to utilize both VPN and TOR simultaneously, I would recommend watching a YouTube tutorial that provides a clear demonstration of how to do so. Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0o9CpcSIyU
Best regards,
HgTrojan.

This topic was automatically closed after 121 days. New replies are no longer allowed.