Why glibc unlink is a macro and not an inline function

Hello all,

This my first post here, and yes I made sure this question is not discussed yet.

So mainly i have been learning more about heap exploitation, especially glibc malloc.

My question is why do unlink function is a macro and not an inline function?

being a macro is making the code somehow unreadable for new comers, but I believe that the same performance gains can be achieved by using an inline function.

inline is just a hint to the compiler. The compiler may or may not inline the function marked as such.
Using a macro guarantees the code will be inline.

But you could do ‘inline __attribute__((always_inline))’ in gcc and it will always inline the function.

Surely you can force inline a function but that doesn’t always generate efficient code. Macro substitution happens in the preprocessing phase whereas inline substitution takes place in the compilation phase. This often makes a difference.

Case 1: Inline function

#include <stdio.h>

inline int __attribute__((always_inline)) SUM(int a, int b)
{
    return (a + b);
}

int main(void)
{
    printf("%d", SUM(10, 20));        
    return 0;
}

This compiles to the following assembly. Tested on https://godbolt.org/ using ARM gcc 5.4.

.LC0:
        .ascii  "%d\000"
main:
        stmfd   sp!, {fp, lr}
        add     fp, sp, #4
        sub     sp, sp, #8
        mov     r3, #10
        str     r3, [fp, #-8]
        mov     r3, #20
        str     r3, [fp, #-12]
        ldr     r2, [fp, #-8]
        ldr     r3, [fp, #-12]
        add     r3, r2, r3
        ldr     r0, .L2
        mov     r1, r3
        bl      printf
        mov     r3, #0
        mov     r0, r3
        sub     sp, fp, #4
        ldmfd   sp!, {fp, pc}
.L2:
        .word   .LC0

The SUM function has indeed been inlined but notice the actual addition operation does takes place in assembly add r3, r2, r3. In contrast consider the following code which uses a macro

Case 2: Macro

#include <stdio.h>

#define SUM(a,b) ((a) + (b))

int main(void)
{
    printf("%d", SUM(10, 20));        
    return 0;
}

This assembles to

.LC0:
        .ascii  "%d\000"
main:
        stmfd   sp!, {fp, lr}
        add     fp, sp, #4
        ldr     r0, .L2
        mov     r1, #30
        bl      printf
        mov     r3, #0
        mov     r0, r3
        ldmfd   sp!, {fp, pc}
.L2:
        .word   .LC0

There’s no addition operation in the assembly, the compiler was intelligent enough to replace it with 30.

Now you may argue that if we compiled the first example with full optimizations -O2 we would have got similar results, but that’s not the point of the discussion.

The key idea is an inline function is still a function. If the inline function had local variables we would see space being reserved for them on the stack in the function from where it was called.

If we use macros instead the compiler doesn’t see the two separate functions. The preprocessor performs the substitution and all the compiler sees is a single block of code and can better optimize it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.